Baseball Holds On to Three MLB Draft Picks
8/16/2008 12:00:00 AM | Baseball
The only one that signed wasn’t a huge surprise, as RHP Brett Hunter (
“Going into the year we knew Brett was going to be a high-profile pitcher,” Pepperdine Coach Steve Rodriguez said. “But after his second start and he developed this injury and some blister issues, it became worrisome to see what his future would be. But slowly and surely he got better and was given a clean bill of health. It was great to see him get drafted and for the A’s to pay him appropriately like a first-round pick. I’m very happy for him and his family. It’s great for the program because it shows that we develop our players like you’re supposed to. It’s great for him to start his professional career.”
RHP Nathan Newman (
Two incoming freshmen – OF Brian Humphries (
“Nate was our Friday starter last year and his return means we have our entire weekend staff coming back,” Rodriguez said. “Aaron was offered fifth-round money but turned it down. He’ll be a great addition to our pitching staff. I’m very excited about Brian coming into the program because he could develop into one of the top picks in the country in the next three years. Overall, things are looking very good for our program and the future of Waves baseball.”
Two members of the 2008 Waves had already signed professional contracts. INF Chase D’Arnaud (
Even without the juniors that signed pro contracts, the Waves are expected to have a strong team in 2009. Last season, Pepperdine finished 38-21 overall, took second place in the West Coast Conference, was ranked #19 by Rivals.com and reached the final game of the Stanford Regional. Rivals.com had projected earlier this summer that Pepperdine would be one of eight teams to get to


























